If you haven’t seen the absolutely gorgeous short film “Last Days”, I strongly encourage you to take 3 minutes to do so. (I’m including it below, but if you are getting my blog via e-mail you can check it out at the Last Days of Ivory website.) It will open your eyes. It sure opened mine.
Here are some facts from the website:
· An elephant is murdered every 15 minutes.
· Over 30,000 elephants are killed by poaching every year.
· Elephants in the wild could be extinct in 11 years.
· African terrorist groups such as al-Shabaab, The Lord’s Resistance Army, Boko Haram and Janjaweed use the sale of illegal ivory to carry out attacks.
· Trafficking in endangered species is the 4th largest illegal business in the world after drugs, weapons and humans.
Saying elephants never forget is a myth. They will forget, once they are wiped off the face of the earth. We need to put a stop to the poaching of elephants. Don’t buy ivory.